The American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) released its 2019 Bridge Report, and it is a good news/bad news (mostly the latter).
While there are fewer structurally deficient bridges than the year before, construction to fix them has slowed to the point where it would take 80 years to make the needed significant repairs, according to the report. That is not a good trend when the more than 47,000 structurally deficient bridges across the country are in need of “urgent” repairs.
Based on data from 2018, the “highlights” of the findings include:
- Four out of 10 bridges need to be replaced or repaired
- 47,052 of America’s 616,087 bridges are rated “structurally deficient” and need urgent repairs
- The pace of repair in 2018 slowed compared to previous years—with only a 1 percent net reduction of deficient structures.
- Americans cross these deficient bridges 178 million times a day.
- Average age of a structurally deficient bridge is 62 years, compared to 40 years for non-deficient bridges.
- 235,020 (38 percent) of U.S. bridges have identified repair needs.
- 18,842 (1 in 3) Interstate highway bridges have identified repair needs
The report breaks down the crumbling infrastructure by state.
Rhode Island ranked first on the list by the percentage of deficient bridges with more than 23 percent of its 780 bridges found to be structurally deficient. Pennsylvania was fifth on the list with 3,770 of its 22,737 bridges listed as deficient, which is more than 16 percent. New York was 13th (1,757 out of 17,521/10 percent). New Jersey was 23 (544 out of 6,746, 8.1 percent).
As a worker in a bridge constructor company in Riverside I have to say that the bridge repairing costs lots of money and it looks like there are holes in the budget. But urgent repairing must be done immediately as it is critically dangerous and will get even more expensive, while the bridges are wearing out.
Thanks for the information, Hope they will find the way to repair urgent objects. electrician
review on the status quo, the problem with bridges is very urgent.
Hope they will repair all needed bridges in Texas. laredo local movers.
It is controversial problem, but the government will decide if the objects are extremely in a bad or emergency condition they will be repaired.
furniture movers near me
Pingback: Planned Renovations to Westchester County Bridges Announced | CIS Construction Connection